Thursday, April 15, 2010

A serious lack of talent

When I was in elementary school I played the cello and the clarinet. I hated the clarinet and only played for a couple of months before giving it up. The cello I played for a few years. I thought I was pretty good but it was 4th grade. I was a Brownie and then a Girl Scout for a few years. After that it was softball and yearbook in intermediate school. Softball I played for a couple of years, yearbook only 6th grade. In high school I got kicked off the cheerleading squad, supposedly for smoking in my uniform, I'm oddly proud of that! That is the extent of my participation in things. No dance class, no karate, no clubs, no art, no nothin'. It wasn't like there were things I wanted to do and didn't get a chance to, I didn't want to do anything else.

Fast-forward twenty some odd years and I have this desire to find something I'm good at; maybe a latent talent waiting to be discovered. So, I think about the things I like to do and it leads me nowhere. I love to sing but I can't carry a tune. I love to eat, but I don't enjoy cooking. I like taking pictures and I think I've taken some good ones, none to garner acclaim. I like to talk, I like to read, I like hanging out with family and friends, I like music and movies, I like being outside, and I love animals. None of these things take any talent. I have a couple of things you may call hobbies, they don't take any talent either.

How to discover it, how to find it, where to look, what to do...
I suspect the answer isn't sitting here on my couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment