Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Somebody call The Doctor

As usual, too many days have passed since I've blogged. I have only one excuse, it's The Doctor's fault. My friend Jason mentioned in his blog a few weeks back that he came to musical theater later in life. I thought that was a great announcement to share with his readers, he found his way there through Glee. If Glee doesn't bring a smile to your face and a song to your lips then, I don't know... I've have come later in life to science fiction. If truth be told it's Lifetime Movie Network's fault. [Have you noticed that I'm not taking responsibility for anything in this post so far?] So, on lazy days when I would loaf in front of the tv I would see what Lifetime had to offer until I started to lose interest in abducted children, runaway teens, backstabbing college roommates, cheating husbands, and dying women. I stumbled one rainy day upon the SyFy channel. Now, anyone who is a die hard sci-fi fan would be the first to scream that the SyFy channel just doesn't count but we all have to start somewhere. For those of you who haven't been keeping up with my tv watching habits I am a big fan of BBC America. I like to watch the BBC news and I enjoy quite a few of their shows that come from across the pond. One cool spring Saturday evening I was drawn to channel 114. There, in his 11th incarnation, was The Doctor. Doctor Who. Now this Doctor isn't the one who was on PBS after the Electric Company in the early 70's, or on late at night in the early 80's at my grandmom's house. This Doctor opened the door to the TARDIS for me and showed me a whole new world. After only 5 episodes I needed to see what I'd missed since the rebirth of The Doctor in 2005. Luckily, or not, Netflix has the previous 4 seasons available for instant viewing. So I started with 2005 with what they call season 1 and got myself caught up. I watched 3 seasons of Doctor Who in about 2 weeks. I'm starting season 4 on Thursday because the first episode of season 4 is only available on dvd. I am addicted. I want to travel with The Doctor. I want to fight Daleks, watch the sun explode, be there when The Doctor regenerates, visit New New York. Seems though, that I haven't lost the little part of me that likes Lifetime movies because I sure do want The Doctor and his companion to kiss passionately as the TARDIS is propelled through time and space.

No comments:

Post a Comment